Target is rolling out enhanced safety measures for the holiday shopping season that are aimed at making the retailer a safer place to shop.
Updates include new in-store safety measures such as contactless self-checkout, technology that allows guests to avoid waiting in line and enhancements to the retailer’s contactless same-day services.
“Year over year, the investments we’ve made in our business and team have made Target the easiest place to shop in America. As we’ve navigated the pandemic, that focus has evolved to ensure we’re also creating the safest place for our guests to shop,” said Target CEO Brian Cornell.
Among the new measures the retailer is now implementing include:
- Contactless In-Store Payment: Guests can now use Wallet, the mobile payment option in the Target app, for a contactless self-checkout experience, completely eliminating the need to pick up the scanning device. That means, regardless of where guests choose to checkout in stores – through self-checkout or with one of our team members – the payment experience is contactless. Wallet conveniently brings Redcard payment, Target Circle offers, weekly ad coupons and gift cards all in one place for a single scan at checkout.
- Pre-Trip Shopping Reservations: To ensure guests have enough space to shop safely and comfortably, Target continues to monitor and, when needed, limit the total number of people inside stores at one time. This holiday, guests can visit Target.com/line to see if there is a line outside their local store, and if so, can reserve a spot in line. Target will then text the guest to notify them that it is their turn to enter the store.
- MyCheckout: The retailer is rolling out 1,000 more MyCheckout devices at its stores across the country, allowing team members to help guests check out anywhere in the store and avoid waiting in line.
In addition to these new measures, Target is making continued investments to ensure its same-day services are faster and safer, allowing guests to receive their purchases in as soon as one hour. These include:
- Double the Drive-Up Spots: Drive-Up, Target’s highest-rated service, allows guests to shop for thousands of items via the Target app and have them brought directly to their cars within minutes of arriving at the store. New this holiday season, Target is doubling the total number of Drive-Up spots by adding nearly 8,000 more, making it easier for guests to access this popular service.
- Enhanced Drive-Up Experience: Target has eliminated entirely the need for barcode scanning at Drive-Up, making it even easier for guests and team members to socially distance. Now, guests simply show their app to team members through their car window, with a personal identification number visible to confirm the order.
- Updated App for More Flexibility: Guests can now adjust – in real-time – if they want to pick up their items using Order Pickup or Drive Up, even after they have arrived at the store. The flexibility to switch between services at any time offers even greater convenience during the busy holiday months.
- Expanded Same-Day Assortment: Guests can use Target’s same-day services to purchase all their holiday needs, including thousands of gifts and all of the ingredients for holiday meals thanks to the nationwide expansion of fresh and frozen grocery via Order Pickup and Drive Up. And with kids’ and adult apparel now available via same-day delivery with Shipt, guests can get everything from cozy pajamas to festive looks for the family delivered straight to their door in as little as one hour.