This week, home chef Terri Muuss features her Chinese Eggplant in a Spicy Garlic Sauce. The full recipe may be found below the video.
- 2 to 3 long Japanese or Chinese eggplant, sliced in half lengthwise and chopped
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and minced
- 2–3 Chinese dried red chilis, chopped
- 4 scallions, finely chopped on the bias
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Chinkiang vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
How to make eggplant with garlic sauce
- Making the sauce. Whisk the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl and leave it on the side.
- Chop and stir fry the eggplant. Stir fry the eggplant with a little oil for a few minutes over medium heat, until they are tender. Transfer the eggplant to a bowl.
- Cook the garlic, ginger, and chilis. Use the same pan and after cooking them for a minute, return the eggplant to the pan.
- Add sauce and scallions. Stir fry for a quick minute and drizzle a little sesame oil.
- Serve with warm rice. Brown or white rice. Enjoy!
Terri Muuss is a social worker, director, performer, speaker and author who loves travel and cook. She has written two books of poetry, Over Exposed and godspine, and offers a motivational advice series on Instagram at @terri.talks. Visit her website at www.terrimuuss.com.